Chugiak Children’s Services, Inc. (CCS) is a nonprofit organization that aids families with children in a variety of ways. Its most important goal is to help children become enthusiastic, lifelong learners. The first Head Start and preschool programs in Chugiak in 1965 served only 20 families. Today CSS has five offices in the Matanuska-Susitna Valley and one office in Eagle River. It provides more than 370 familites with a safe, nurturing environment in which their children can joyfully "practice" developmental tasks. There are several programs under the CCS umbrella. The Head Start program helps low income families by subsidizing preschool classes. CCS has also several fee-for-service programs such as, Toddler / Infant Care, Before and After School Care, and Basic Child Care.
To find out more about CCS either call or drop by any of the sites. There is always a Center Coordinator or Family Support Assistant on had to answer questions about enrollment or participation in any of the CCS services. CCS’s Executive Director, Linda Ketchum, works at the Eagle River office and can be reached at 907-694-6011. Anyone interested in volunteering their time at CCS can call the Volunteer Coordinators listed below:
- Eagle River Office: Jennifer Mangrum, 907-694-2890
- Chugiak Office: Lisa Carter, 907-688-2660
- Palmer Office: Charlene Harrel, 907-746-4483
- Wasilla Office: Darla Evans, 907-373-7795
- Meadow Lakes Office (serves also Houston and Big Lake): Kim Weeks, 907-373-7165
- Alaska Job Corp Center (Palmer): This office does not have a volunteer coordinator. For information call the Director, Mark Lackey, 907-746-8816.