sidebar
Logo Top Banner
Home
slogan Alaska Timeline Alaska Kids About
Peer Work
Family & Community
History & Culture
Digital Archives
Land Sea Air

People of the North

Native Peoples

Native Lives and Traditions

Explorers and Adventurers

Heroes and Scoundrels

Pioneers

Politicians

Community Life

Industry

Government

Narrative & Healing
Reading & Writing
Libraries & Booksellers
Teaching & Learning
Contact Us

  
Search Peer Work Only
Sign up for newsletter
  
Find us on Facebook
   ENews
   April 2011 E-News
March 2011 E-News
January 2011 E-News
September 2010 E-News
May 2010 E-News
March 2010 E-News
January 2010 E-News
November 2009 E-News
September 2009 E-News

digital archives

Home  >  Digital Archives  >  People of the North  >  Politicians
Governor John F.A. Strong - Governor of the Territory of Alaska, 1913-1918  -  Related Materials
« Prev   Page 2 of 2  

Links:

Birth of an institution

"When the Legislature convened in 1917, the idea of establishing an agricultural college at Fairbanks seemed ridiculous to most people at the capital but, as time passed, it was interesting to note how the attitude toward the College was changing and people were more willing to listen to argument in its favor. One prominent pioneer of Juneau said the morning after the Legislature had closed, 'I am almost persuaded to your college.' And, when the bill finally passed, there were seven votes against it in the House but only one in the Senate. The bill was approved May 3, 1917.

"By this act and a subsequent one, the Legislature accepted the four sections of land granted by congress for a site of an agricultural college and school of mines, appropriated $60,000.00 for buildings and equipment, authorized the Governor of the Territory to appoint eight trustees as a governing board and prescribed general rules for its conduct.

"On August 10, 1917, Gov. J. F. A. Strong, of Alaska, appointed the following as trustees of the Alaska Agricultural College and School of Mines: H.B. Parkin, A.J. Nordale, A. R. Heilig, R.C. Wood, Mrs. Luther C. Hess, Phil Ernst, L. S. Keller and L. F. Shaw. The Board of Trustees held their first meeting September 5, 1917."

- Harriet Hess, remembering the founding of the Alaska Agricultural College and School of Mines. Excerpted from Farthest-North Collegian, Vol. 3, No. 2, July 1925. The full text can be found at www.alaska.edu/opa/eInfo/index.xml?StoryID=281.


Download Documents


(147 KB)
J.F.A. Strong


(158 KB)
J.F.A. Strong Booklist


(359 KB)
J.F.A. Strong photos

NOTE: Many of the documents are in PDF format and require Adobe Acrobat Reader for viewing. Acrobat Reader software may be downloaded for free from Adobe Systems, Inc.
Pages:  1  2 


sidebar
  Contact Us       LitSite Alaska, Copyright © 2000 - 2014. All rights reserved. University of Alaska Anchorage.
University of Alaska Anchorage