Logo Top Banner
slogan Alaska Timeline Alaska Kids About
Peer Work
Family & Community
History & Culture
Digital Archives
Narrative & Healing
Reading & Writing
Libraries & Booksellers
Teaching & Learning
Contact Us

Search Peer Work Only
Sign up for newsletter
Find us on Facebook

Home  >  Peer Work
An Eventful Day
By Meghan Maslen
Genre: Non-fiction
Category: Student Examples

It was a cold but eventful Thursday. It was the penultimate day of our primary school years. This was a special day for the whole class.

Our class was buzzing with excitement and anticipation. We were all thrilled to bits about the fact that we had the opportunity to go on such a trip. The classroom was full of primary sevens (me included). We were the oldest pupils in the school, and it was nearly time for us to move up to the secondary school. The bus was taking an awful long time to arrive. The wait was making us all a bit restless, but it eventually came.

It was a typical day in Aberdeen. A gale was blowing; the leaves were blowing all over the place. I imagined a big hair dryer just standing at the edge of the road blowing the leaves all over the streets. I loved this time of year -- autumn -- the color of the leaves and the smell of chimney smoke streaming through the atmosphere. My hair was getting blown all over the place. I detest the strands of my hair blowing into my mouth and into my eyes, causing them to water like fountains.

Now that we were on the bus and seated, we headed to our venue. I could feel the wheels of the bus beneath me, making my feet vibrate occasionally after slight bumps in the road. I had an aim for that day. My aim was not to fall on the ice rink, because I had never done that before at such a speed.

The bus came to a halt, and the doors opened. After a lot of pushing and shoving, we were free of the bus. I couldn't wait to get out, because I was beginning to get quite claustrophobic in the stuffy bus. The fresh sea air was wonderful. Its salty scent soared up my nose almost instantaneously. We made our way to the entrance of the ice rink.

My body was quite cold after being on the ice rink for so long. I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck standing vertically on end. I had reached my aim for the day. Not falling once on the rink was a great achievement for me! The next place to visit was the swimming pool. This was the place that I was looking forward to the most.

After getting changed and having a quick shower, I climbed into the pool. My legs were pretty cold, so I looked forward to getting into the nice, heated pool. Just after I had stepped into the Jacuzzi, our teachers called us over. We went over to them and received some tickets for the water slides. This was GREAT! I then went straight to the water slides and walked with an excited flair up the stairs. I could feel the tiles beneath my feet. They were very smooth and slippery, like bars of soap.

Just then, my feet flew back into the air. This sent my head flying forward into a face-dive. My head bashed off the tile step with a thump. It felt like slipping on a wet and soggy banana skin. I picked myself up and could feel blood running down the side of my face. Blood was spurting out at a fast rate. It felt like someone was squeezing my head to get the remainder of the sauce out of a tomato ketchup bottle. I put my hand to my head and held the two pieces of skin together. It seemed that all the blood in my body was rushing to my head. I then walked briskly down the stairs to find someone for help. The pain was agonizing! My head was spinning like a toddler's spinning top.

Then, while I was walking down the stairs, my legs started to feel like jelly. There was a man sitting on a big chair who was a lifeguard. As soon as he saw my condition, he took me straight to a medical room. My class teacher was following closely behind. She then phoned the hospital and told them what had happened and then she phoned my mother. While we were waiting for an ambulance to come, a lifeguard stitched up my cut. It felt as if he was sewing me up like my mum did with her patchwork quilt.

Suddenly, the double doors opened and two hulking paramedics in green rushed in pulling a trolley. They lifted me on to the trolley and took me in an ambulance. This was my first time riding in an ambulance. Unfortunately, they didn't put the siren on, but I felt quite comfortable. They had strapped me up tight to make sure I wasn't jerked about when they made turns. I'm glad they didn't put the siren on because that would have been a very clear sign that my accident was serious.

We arrived at the hospital and met my mum, who had been waiting for me anxiously. A helper had come with me to make sure that I was okay. The greatest fear was whether I had fractured my skull or not. Luckily, I had not.

It has now been over a year since the accident happened, but it is still fresh in my mind and always will be. The scar is noticeable on my forehead, so I can tell you what happened. My scar has been named the "Harry Potter Scar."

My school trip was completely the opposite of what I had anticipated. I had achieved my main goal of the day, but I fell in another place instead. That is typical of me. I am called the accident-prone person of my family ... after all!

Related Articles
Writing With Traits

  Contact Us       LitSite Alaska, Copyright © 2000 - 2017. All rights reserved. University of Alaska Anchorage.
University of Alaska Anchorage