sidebar

LitSite Home

Return to:   The Iditarod Trail - In 1908, hopeful miners throughout Alaska and the Yukon flooded the Iditarod region following the discovery of gold on Otter Creek. Within a year the main camp in the gold fields developed at Flat.
 previous Gallery Thumbnails  next
Dr. F. W. Herms and Z. J. Loussac

UAF-1974-42-1
Dr. F. W. Herms and Z. J. Loussac set out on the winter trail between Iditarod and Flat Creek in this 1912 photo. Herms was a dentist who lived in the Ruby mining district; Loussac would gain prominence as an Anchorage businessman, and served as mayor from 1948 to 1951. The three-story Z. J. Loussac Public Library, erected in 1986, is the main branch in the Anchorage Municipal Libraries system. Archives, University of Alaska Fairbanks

For more information about this image click here. 


sidebar
  Contact Us       LitSite Alaska, Copyright © 2000 - 2014. All rights reserved. University of Alaska Anchorage.
University of Alaska Anchorage