Once the building was moved, it was raised to allow for a full basement. In spring 1912, the rough work on the basement parish hall was completed, as well as a two-story residence for the Jesuits. Brother Joseph Coté, S.J., came to Fairbanks that summer and assisted with all of the writing, painting the residence, and installing much of the plumbing. In the early spring of 1914, the church’s roof was given a steeper pitch, making room for a choir loft. At the same time, a belfry was added to the front elevation of the church, and a bigger than life-size statue of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception was placed above the front doors. The church interior was to be finished with fleur-de-lis embossed decorative tin. In this Albert Johnson photo, taken between 1914 and 1917, renovations to the church are complete, with the steeply pitched roof and addition of a belfry and statue of the Virgin Mary. Archives, University of Alaska Fairbanks.
For more information about this image click here.