sidebar

LitSite Home

Return to:   The Moveable Church: St. Joseph's of Fairbanks (SLIDESHOW) - Fairbanks was a frontier town when a Jesuit priest named Rev. Francis M. Monroe decided to build a church and hospital.
 previous Gallery Thumbnails  next
Postcard of the church

UAF-1989-166-1169-Postcard
The church and hospital stood on opposite banks of the Chena River until Father Joseph R. Crimont, who arrived in 1909, urged that the church be moved to the north bank. Until then, Father Monroe frequently crossed the Chena, as he was heavily involved in church- and hospital-related work. Archives, University of Alaska Fairbanks.

For more information about this image click here. 


sidebar
  Contact Us       LitSite Alaska, Copyright © 2000 - 2014. All rights reserved. University of Alaska Anchorage.
University of Alaska Anchorage