sidebar

LitSite Home

Return to:   The Moveable Church: St. Joseph's of Fairbanks (SLIDESHOW) - Fairbanks was a frontier town when a Jesuit priest named Rev. Francis M. Monroe decided to build a church and hospital.
Gallery Thumbnails  next
Sisters of Providence

AMRC-wwc-2286-3
Various orders of nuns served a vital role in Alaska’s health care history. The Sisters of Providence cared for miners and locals during the gold rushes in the Klondike, Nome, and Fairbanks, and eventually established today’s Providence Hospital in Anchorage. Pictured here, a group of Sisters of Providence gathers for a photo in Anchorage. In Fairbanks, the Sisters of St. Ann staffed St. Joseph’s Hospital from September 30, 1906, to June 23, 1907, followed in the next three years by the Benedictine Sisters. And on October 1, 1910, the Sisters of Providence stepped in, serving at St. Joseph’s Hospital until it closed in 1968. Anchorage Museum of History and Art, Library and Archives.

For more information about this image click here. 


sidebar
  Contact Us       LitSite Alaska, Copyright © 2000 - 2014. All rights reserved. University of Alaska Anchorage.
University of Alaska Anchorage