In 1923, Mount McKinley National Park was accessible by rail, and a train station was built to accommodate the influx of tourists. Dan T. Kennedy established the Savage River Tent Camp 12 miles from the station. He transported his guests via packhorses and later stagecoaches. In 1925, the Mt. McKinley Tourist & Transportation Company acquired Kennedy's tent camp and began using buses or automobiles for transportation. This September 1938 photo depicts the busy Mount McKinley Park station. Anchorage Museum of History and Art, Library and Archives.
For more information about this image click here.