With the completion of the Alaska Railroad station in Mount McKinley National Park, the park became a popular tourist attraction. Expecting a rush of tourists, park resident Dan T. Kennedy obtained the first concession contract and established the Savage River Tent Camp in the spring of 1923. He transported the tourists to the camp, located 12 miles from the train station, by packhorses. His dream for a tourism boom was dashed when the first season brought in only 34 guests. However, the following years would prove more fruitful. Anchorage Museum of History and Art, Library and Archives.
For more information about this image click here.