Title from image. Photograph of an Indian village near Dawson. This village has been identified as "Moosehide" by Susan Parsons, Collection Manager of Tr'ondek Hwech'in. "A south looking view of the Tr'ondek Hwech'in village of Moosehide, located 5 km. downstream from Dawson City, Yukon, Canada. St. Barnabas Anglican Church (built in 1908) stands high on the banks of the Yukon River with family cabins and caches for food storage along the bank. Moosehide, known as Jejik Ddha Denezhu Kek'it in the Tr'ondek Hwech'in language of Han, was established in 1897 by the Canadian government to protect the Tr'ondek Hwech'in people from the affects of the Klondike Gold Rush of 1896. Due to changing economy, decreased population and the school closing, the inhabitants of Moosehide moved into Dawson City in the 1950's. There was a resurgence of habitation and activity from the 1970's to present and it continues to play an integral role in the life of the Tr'ondek Hwech'in." She adds further information: There are still people living at Moosehide, though not permanently. There are many Tr'ondek Hwech'in who have built family cabins on the site and spend their spare time there, have special ceremonies there, celebrations or healing time. There are also facilities for events such as gatherings.
For more information about this image click here.