Title taken from label on matting. View of building originally built as Russian bishop's residence, office, and chapel, which later became part of Sitka National Historical Park. Sign in yard reads: "Russian mission, 1842." Original label, crossed out, reads: "Sitka. Sheldon Jackson Presbyterian Boarding School for Indians. 1938." From verso: "Russian mission, constructed by Russian American Company in 1842 as a residence, office and private chapel for Bishop Ivan Veniaminov; also used as an ecclesiastical school until 1917, after which the ground floor was rented out to private individuals, except for one large room retained for church use. The upper floor was used by Orthodox bishops until 1969. The building is now a part of Sitka National Historical Park. There is no evidence that it was ever used by the Presbyterians, although they did use the Russian hospital next door, a similar structure which burned in the 1880s. R.L. Shalkop, Museum Manager, 12/76." Photographer's number 8363. Anchorage Museum of History and Art - Library and Archives.
For more information about this image click here.