sidebar

LitSite Home

Return to:   Alaska's Steese Highway - Recognizing Alaska's need for improved transportation infrastructure, in 1905 the federal government created the Alaska Road Commission.
 previous Gallery Thumbnails  next
Davidson Ditch

This 1952 image by William O. L. Chinn shows a portion of the Davidson Ditch, a 90-mile aqueduct that paralleled the Steese Highway. Completed in 1925, the Davidson Ditch moved needed water to Chatanika and Fox, where gold dredges were in operation. University of Alaska Anchorage, Library and Manuscripts.

For more information about this image click here. 


sidebar
  Contact Us       LitSite Alaska, Copyright © 2000 - 2014. All rights reserved. University of Alaska Anchorage.
University of Alaska Anchorage